Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Quick and Easy Dinners

Well, that's the name of the game in our house these days... either that or easy and looong (ie. something done in the slow cooker)

I really like fish, but am still in novice territory as far as cooking it in new ways... I think I have my teriyaki salmon recipe down pat (let me know if you're interested) but that's one of the only ways that the husb. and I both really enjoy.... until lately.

I'd like to introduce:

Southwestern Salmon

I made this as a sandwich… kind of po-boy meets Philly steak sandwich. However this stands well alone or with some rice or pasta.

Serves 4
4-six ounce salmon fillets. I cut mine into 6 ounce strips so they would fit on our hoagie rolls
1 green pepper, sliced into half rings
1 red pepper, sliced into half rings
You could slice up some onion rings too, but Noah doesn’t really like them, so I don’t
4 tbsp Italian dressing
2 tbsp water
Make a little spice rub for the salmon:
1tsp chili powder
1tsp dried cilantro
1tsp dried cumin
1tsp dried basil
½ tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Lay down some foil in a baking sheet, place the salmon down and sprinkle the mixed spices on the salmon. Give it a rub and a flip so both sides are seasoned.
Layer the peppers on top of the salmon
Drizzle the Italian dressing and water on top ( I just eyeball it… enough so the fish will stay moist.)
Seal the salmon up in the foil and bake for 40 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

The peppers are delicious with a melt in your mouth flavor and the salmon is spiced without being too spicy. I wished I had a nice glass of chardonnay to go with it. Bummer, maybe next time.

Now, if you’re adventurous enough to try a little something extra, (extra prep work AND extra calories), dress your sandwich with a fancy mayo:
Chipotle mayo: mix ½ tsp of chipotle pepper sauce (or adobo) to every 1 tbsp of mayo ...a little goes a long way, and I just put the rest of the can in a ziploc and toss in the freezer so I can break off a chunk and thaw it the next time I need some.
Cilantro mayo: mix chopped fresh cilantro (a few stalks worth) for every 1 tbsp of mayo

Now, if I could just remember to grab my camera and take a picture of my food instead of the adorable 4 month old, we'd be in business.

What's your quick and easy dinner?

1 comment:

savvy stitch said...

I am always on the lookout for easy dinners. Latest one: take boneless chicken breast or thighs w/skin and put it in a baking dish. Sprinkle w/ salt and pepper and cover in dijon mustard. Pour white wine on top and bake until cooked at 350f--about 40 min. In a pan, mix a chicken bouillon cube with not much water and whisk in half a cup of sour cream. Heat for a few minutes, then pour into chicken dish and bake for another ten minutes. Aaron couldn't stop talking about it.